Thursday 3 January 2013

Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson

1

My first book this year (which also ran over from last year) was Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon.  It's the first book of the massive (10 books) Malazan Book of the Fallen series, which is renowned for being one of the most epic fantasy series ever written, with a scope of an entire planet and 100,000 years of history.  Its also renowned for being complicated and difficult, with little exposition other than what occurs naturally through the story.  I tried to read this quite a few years ago but gave up, but managed to finish it this time round.  I'm glad I did, because the ending is very good and based on what I've heard/read the rest of the series has a dramatic improvement in readability and awesomeness.  I didn't find it that hard to read (compared to what I'd come to expect), but it has left me with many questions and I'm not sure I fully understand what is going on, even one whole book in.  I'm keenly looking forward to reading the next book in the series, but I'll be reading something lighter next to give my brain a rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment